Sunday, May 8, 2011

Kitchen Koncoctions

I just caught myself in the kitchen making these.... Sometimes I wonder what possesses these onsets. I'll be happily doing something and then BAM all of the sudden I'll find myself making something I shouldn't. Today, is Mother's Day, however. I deserve it, right?
Yesterday, I made these... They're just your basic everyday rolls. But they were so pretty and my camera is so fun, I just had to snap a shot. Made them for a Memorial service in which I'm sure they weren't appreciated because they were broken apart and tossed in with the Costco rolls. Looks-wise you almost couldn't tell the difference. But you sure could taste it! YUM!! But so NOT a healthy roll. Full-on white bleached flour, with lots of butter and a dash of sugar. Don't drool on your keyboard!
On a more healthy note, I'm trying really hard to cook healthier. About a week ago, I attempted a meatloaf recipe with flaxseed. Talk about an EPIC failure. While eating it, I kept trying to push away the thoughts of "this must be what dog food tastes and feels like going down." So the next day I attempted a save by sauteeing the meat in a pan, stirring in pasta sauce and serving over spaghetti noodles. The kids ate the noodles and sauce but wouldn't touch the meat. I couldn't blame them. I didn't eat it myself.
::tossing THAT recipe in the trash::
 Anyone has any good recipes with flaxseed that actually are palatable, I would LOVE them!

This was surprisingly a bigger hit than I expected. (Tofu and Veggie stir fry with pork over somen noodles with homemade stir fry sauce)



Oh man, I need all the help I can get. I have no problem cooking with butter, sugar, fat, starches, etc etc.... But I have very few recipes that are genuinely healthy all around that the family will LOVE. I do have a few, in fact I'll post them on my recipe blog ;)

This is a cry for help.

and healthy family friendly recipes/ideas.....

1 comment:

Kat said...

My favorite thing about summer is the zucchini and yellow squash(and watermelon and peaches and...)... I slice a few of them up and throw them in a frying pan with a sliced onion, hamburger(or whatever), salt, and pepper, and then add a can or two of diced tomatoes. I was surprised how few calories were in the entire batch! :) I just eat it with a slice or two of bread...
I'm slowly learning that cheese (my favorite food; enter: pizza) is really not as healthy for me as I would like it to be. It's the ingredient that I put in everything, to my demise. :D