notice i didn't blog on friday? didn't think so, but this leads to my crusties today. i hate getting injured, no matter how minor. it sucks. it seems to come in waves. it never fails to humble me.
last wednesday, i was putting dishes away. as i was shoving utensils in the drawer, my thumbnail nicked the side of the drawer giving me a beautifully placed splinter under my nail. i could see that it went pretty far down.... but i didn't really want to deal with it so i calmly dealt with the pain all day. later that night, i let the hubby dig in there with some tweezers, but all we got were a few chunks of wood.... after a restless night of trying to sleep with a hot throbbing thumb, i thought maybe i should go to the doc and get it out. so i called around, only to find that no one could squeeze me in and was told to "just go to the ER" several times. i just couldn't do it. the ER? really? for a stupid splinter?
so friday, i wake up and the thing is oozing yellow puss. i squeeze out as much as my stomach will handle and decide to go in... only after i get the house clean of course. around 11am, after hair and make-up (to lessen the embarrassment of going in for such a lame reason) i headed to the ER with mace in-tow.
so, i'll spare you all gory and boring details like:
- sitting in the waiting room for hours
- the old people comparing fall injuries
- the 3 patients that coded
- the crack whore trying to get free prescriptions
- the drunk homeless dude, who made many appearances throughout the day
- the fact that they couldn't get my finger numb meaning lots of shots
- i picked like the busiest day ever in that particular ER
moral of the story:
opposable thumbs, may be slightly overrated, however, the things that i noticed are hard to do without a working thumb
- curling my eyelashes
- hitting the lock/unlock button on the car remote
- fastening my bra in the back
- and a few more....
will he ever tire of Indiana Jones? he's having a marathon day....