Saturday, December 11, 2010

wailings of the flakey Christmas mom

Sitting here munching on Moose Munch, I cant believethat it's been almost a month since my last post! We really haven't done much.

The boys are enjoying school. We had parent teacher conferences. It seems that Sean's aloofness is still an issue, however both boys are doing wonderful and getting high marks.

Cooper is still playing the piano, but I'm having some trouble getting him to practice lately. Hopefully he's ready for his recital in a few weeks! He's also LOVES scouts and is working hard on all his achievements.

Sean is still as curious as he can be. He informs me daily of the happenings at school. Here is an example of a recent conversation, SEAN: mom, I joined a club today.
MOM: oh really, what kind of club?
SEAN: the hippy club
MOM: Wow, what does the "hippy club" do?
SEAN: We play secret games, like "hippy tag." Its just regular tag, we just call it "hippy tag."
MOM: Sound like fun.
SEAN: Yeah, they made me the master of the club. So if I dont like someone, I cross their names off the hippy list. Since I'm the master I carry the hippy list.
MOM: But you don't do that right? You let everyone join your club.
SEAN: NO WAY!!! I only let the cool kids in!
and so on..... You can see that we'll have our hands full with this guy.

Mason enjoys his time home alone with mom. He loves smoothies from Costco and having the Xbox to himself. Mason is still brimming with energy and attitude. I would love to get him into a swimming program or something. Here he is giving Santa some attitude.

Nick is VERY happy that finals are over. He can now rest and try to kick the cold that he's had for 2 weeks now. He feels hammered by school and sickness. However, considering those two things, he did remarkably well in his classes and I'm VERY proud of him. He's worked hard! He's also been called to serve at church in a more demanding role. The early morning meetings are not his favorite thing, but he's doing it cheerfully and working hard to learn the ropes.

I am busy. And yet, not sooo busy. Busy putting up the tree, ginger-breading and baking endlessly for the season. Wrapping gifts and getting ready for Christmas and the New Year. Our house has termites in the foundation. (Can I just say there are some MAJOR benefits to renting?) But we LOVE our little house, we LOVE where we live and are just so very grateful for all that we have been blessed with this past year.



I was asked to make a gingerbread house for a centerpiece for the ward Christmas party. I've only made one "real" gingerbread house and it wasn't a Christmas one and didn't turn out so well. This one turned out much better. I learned a lot about ginger-breading. I wont be making any gingerbread towns or anything soon, but at least now it's more doable to me.




so for now, my ramblings are complete. I'm looking forward to Christmas. I'm looking forward to the New Year. I'm looking forward to living my life a little more fully and with a little more direction pointed toward what matters most.

Merry Christmas!!!

PS. I posted this last year, but I just LOVE it!


4 comments:

Craziest Cottrell said...

You are such a good mom! This is a great post. Way better than my post today...NOTHING! I will have to try harder because you are setting the bar too high.

Jade said...

The Gingerbread house was a huge hit, I loved it.
Also, for swim lessons for Mason go here. http://www.cityofpacifica.org/depts/rec_department/aquatics/lessons/dates.asp

Pacifica has a great swim lesson program and it is pretty affordable.

Julie J. said...

You are awesome. And so are your boys. I can totally identify with the aloof student and the piano practice problem. Sam... Your tree looks great!

Coral Gibbons said...

Wow! Your gingerbread house turned out so cute! Good job!