Sunday, October 3, 2010

tidbits, thoughts and nerf darts

Eight, yes EIGHT hours of conference.

When you add it all up, it sure is a LONG time for 3 boys to actually watch.

I've given up. I let them run amok, having nerf gun fights and wrestling wars. We called them in to hear the prophet speak. And during the afternoon session they heard, "I am a Child of God" and ran in to sing with the TV. I couldn't sing, however, with a huge lump in my throat and tears welling uncontrollably. I guess they get it, in small doses, but they get it.

It seems that in this conference as well as in church lessons and talks, we are reminded to follow the prophets, both current and deceased. Whether it's President Kimball's "Do It" motto, President Hinckley's "B's" or President Monson's "Attitude of Gratitude."

I love how President Monson spoke about gratitude. I thought it fitting to myself, since I've felt an outpouring of gratitude lately in my own life. However, I felt impressed to not hold onto the happiness and peace but to let it flow outside of me more abundantly by sharing my happiness, blessings and testimony with those around me.

I've been pondering lately about the gospel in my life. Not questioning it, but just logistically thinking about it how it works, how it infiltrates everything I do and all that I am. I mean, how can you NOT be happy when you have a testimony of Jesus Christ? How can you ever be despondent? It's one thing to believe in his teachings and to follow in his ways. But, it's another thing entirely to learn to believe him when he tells us that he loves us, that he forgives us and that he's coming again. Today while the choir sang, "Now Let Us Rejoice!" a sweet peace came over me and reminded me that he is coming again. I thought of the members of the church in the Book of Mormon, right before the birth of the Savior in Bethlehem. How their trials were great because they were faithful that the Savior was coming. I see the hard times that we are in and the worse times that are coming. Subsequently I am reassured in my testimony of the Savior returning! How wondrous and awesome will that time be and make all our little worries and frustrations seem so small and minute. I love being a member of His church and I don't care how others feel about that. It's who I am. It's what brings me daily peace and keeps me smiling.


"Now let us rejoice in the day of salvation.
No longer as strangers on earth need we roam.
Good tidings are sounding to us and each nation,
And shortly the hour of redemption will come,
When all that was promised the Saints will be given,
And none will molest them from morn until ev'n,
And earth will appear as the Garden of Eden,
And Jesus will say to all Israel, "Come home."

We'll love one another and never dissemble
But cease to do evil and ever be one.
And when the ungodly are fearing and tremble,
We'll watch for the day when the Savior will come,
When all that was promised the Saints will be given,
And none will molest them from morn until ev'n,
And earth will appear as the Garden of Eden,
And Jesus will say to all Israel, "Come home."

In faith we'll rely on the arm of Jehovah
To guide thru these last days of trouble and gloom,
And after the scourges and harvest are over,
We'll rise with the just when the Savior doth come.
Then all that was promised the Saints will be given,
And they will be crown'd with the angels of heav'n,
And earth will appear as the Garden of Eden,
And Christ and his people will ever be one."

Text: William W. Phelps

Hope everyone enjoyed conference as much as I did! :)

2 comments:

Coral Gibbons said...

Well put, Emily! I was amazed at how quiet my girls were. Okay, amazed at Ellie actually being quiet.

Jamilla said...

I totally agree! What a good conference it was! Its also comforting to hear that I am not the only one that just lets the kids do what they want. It is amazing what they retain when you don't think they are paying attention...