Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Holy Frijoles I SUCK!

Today's agenda: Relax. Nothing on the schedule. Supposedly mellow. Much-needed respite.

Today's epiphany: My dreams were dashed by the imminent knowledge that home canning and cooking must be amped up. Brought on by several outings to different grocers.

Today's NEW agenda: Canning.

On the menu: "Re-fried" beans.

As I sit here at the computer, I listen to the steady hissing of the pressure canner. The fog is rolling in and there is a frigid bite to the air. It seems to only affect my toes today and the top of me spent half the day sweating in the kitchen.

The cold nature of the coast keeps tricking my body into smorgasbord. All I want to do is eat. And bake. And eat. And cook. And eat.

In a place that is forever cold and cloudy, how do I trick my body into NOT thinking it needs an extra 10 pounds, or 20, or 30?

..........

OKAY... so AS I'm writing this the phone rings (Caller ID tells me that it's the kids' school). My first thought is oh no! what happened? did one of them barf? or get in a fight?

SCHOOL: Hi, I know you probably forgot
MY BRAIN: Forgot what? I didn't forget anything!
EMILY: Uh oh! What did I forget?
SCHOOL: Today is early out day.
MY BRAIN: Shoot! I suck as a mom! How could I forget? I knew that!
EMILY: I'll be right there.
SCHOOL: Oh it's no problem, they're here in the office.
MY BRAIN: YEAH! No problem for you, you aren't the loser parent who forgot "early out day" and subsequently her children because she was so wrapped up in canning and blogging.

Once again, my attempt at balancing motherhood and homemaking duties has failed. The older I get, the more I realize, I'm more prone to failure than I thought.

time to bake some cookies as a peace offering to my traumatized little ones, whose mother FORGOT them!

4 comments:

flip flop mama said...

Don't be too hard on yourself! You are definitely not the only one!

Julie J. said...

When Sam was in Kindergarten, there wasn't a single early day that I remembered to pick him up. Every single Monday they had to call to remind me, and once I was on th phone while they were trying to call and he waited and hour for me. I still forget occasionally.

Jamilla said...

Emily, You are one of the best moms I know! Don't be so hard on yourself, we all make mistakes.

Parkin Family said...

I think I forget an early out day at least one a year! You are doing great if this was your first one!