Tuesday, September 14, 2010

$4.69

Waiting for the oil change on the car, I ventured across the parking lot to Lucky, a local grocery store. I thought, well I do need bread, milk and eggs. I've known from the first week I arrived here that groceries are just more expensive in California, but nothing could have prepared me for $4.69. Really? Really!

$4.69 for a loaf of whole wheat bread. I guess I'm back into the mode of baking my own bread. The habit was conveniently dropped during "move time" and hasn't quite found it's way back into my weekly routine.

My kids would love me if I had gone next store to All A Dollar and picked up and loaf of mushy white goo and sent it with them to school this morning stuffed with peanut butter and honey, but instead they got some rice balls with a strip of seaweed and sesame seeds (still hadn't made bread).

So on the agenda for today....

Breakin' out the wheat grinder and makin' me some bread and hoping that the climate and elevation difference doesn't mess with me.

Let's see how it goes......

3 comments:

flip flop mama said...

Yeah, things aren't cheap around here...I usually get the bread at Costco that is the 7 Grain (I think?) It's $5 something for two loaves. But homemade bread is yummier!

Angie said...

Sorry, Em, but rice balls with seaweed?? bleck!!

Parkin Family said...

That really is a bad price! Good luck if any one can rise to the home baking occasion it is you! I would have to pay the high price.....Yeast and me have not become friends!