Thursday, August 13, 2009

random words of anger

so, i've been thinking about speaking "with the tongue of angels." there are several times a day when words of exclamation pop from my lips. so, i've decided to get rid of these unkind words of exclamation and replace them with more positive ones. for example,

while driving:
I used to say, "OH! You RETARD!!"
I will now say, "That was NOT very smart of you!"

when i step on a lego or fallen army guy:
I used to say, "CRAP! I HATE those things!"
I will now say, "That did NOT feel very good! Let's clean these up boys!"

when someone offends me:
I used to say, "What an IDIOT!?"
I will now say, "That person was NOT very nice!"

when i'm at walmart looking at white trash beating on their kid:
I used to say, "REJECT is going to hell!"
I will now say, "That is NOT cool, I will pray for them."

WHY do you ask am I doing this seemingly LAME thing? Well first of all, while driving some months back, a Utah driver made a lame move that upset me. I looked over my right shoulder to call the person a "retard." Cooper who was sitting in my line of fire, welled up with tears and said, "mom! i'm not a retard." Okay, so i had one of those "i-suck-as-a-mom" moments and decided i needed to curb my passion just a little bit better. I dont SWEAR persay, however, what is swearing? the dictionary defines "swear" as " to use profane or obscene language." i think that anything we say in the heat of anger could be considered swearing. 100 years ago, it was words like "blast" and "wretch." Today profanity is much different, and 100 years from now it will be different still, so I am trying an experiment to see if curbing my "random words of anger" into a more positive vociferation will help me to better speak with the "tongue of angels."

i may just be... going crazy?

3 comments:

KATE said...

You're a much better person than I am! I think we already knew that, but now it's official! :)

Tasha's Life said...

I love this Emily! You are awesome! Thanks for posting it!

Julie J. said...

Matt and I had a conversation about this like two minutes ago on the phone because I was saying some not very nice things in the car last night and Sam was hearing it all.
Thanks.