Sunday, February 15, 2009

Today after church....

Cooper was responsible for giving the opening prayer and sharing a scripture in Primary today. Before primary, I suggested that in his prayer he invite the Spirit to be there. We also picked out a scripture for him to read about Nephi being an example to his older brothers.

After church, I'm sitting in Relief Society packing up my things. Cooper and Sean come in and stand by me jabbering the way kids do after they haven't been with mom for a while. Sean gets distracted as usual and runs to chat with friends.

Cooper looks at me with all seriousness and asks, "mom, why does it feel like that in primary?"

"Like what?" I asked.

"I dunno. Like I feel good and happy inside," he struggled to find the right words.

"Well, when you said the opening prayer, did you ask the Spirit to be there?" I asked.

"Yes."

"Do you think the Spirit was there?"

"Yes."

"That's why you felt that way. We always feel that way when what we're doing, where we are, or what we're hearing is a true thing" I struggled to explain. (If ANYONE has advice for me on HOW to answer these questions better, please let me know!!!)

I hugged him and told him what a sweet boy he was for recognizing these things. Cooper has always had an innate knowledge and a sensitivity to the things that are right and the ways that are correct. We are SO glad for this older child and for his example in our family. From birth, he has brought a light into our home that we feel we don't always deserve.

3 comments:

Parkin Family said...

He is like a little angel! He is so sweet!

flip flop mama said...

What a great story! It's so wonderful to see the gospel through a child's eyes.

Julie J. said...

I think you gave him the perfect explaination. What a sweety.