Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Aebleskivers



I must sing praises to this traditional Danish dish.

My mom bought me this pan last summer and we've made good use of it.

here is the recipe...

2 cups buttermilk
2 cups flour
3 eggs, separated
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. soda
2 tsp. sugar

By hand beat egg yolks. Add sugar, salt and buttermilk. Stir. Add flour, soda and baking powder.
Stir together. Beat egg whites til stiff and fold into batter.

Put a small dab of butter in each cup or use nonstick spray. Fill cup half full. Top with 1/2 tsp. applesauce and cover with more batter. Let brown, then turn.

Be careful and let cool a little. Applesauce gets very hot.

I've also made cornbread batter, cooked it in my pan with little hot dog pieces in the middle.
Or you can use Bisquick (add an extra egg or two) and fill with peanut butter and chocolate in the middle or jam (my kids really like ham n' cheese or banana and peanut butter)

Fun, Easy, Really endless possibilities....


4 comments:

lucy said...

This looks soooooo good. In fact I think I'm going to try this. Weren't you the companion I had that I gained even more weight with on the mission???

flip flop mama said...

Those look SOOO yummy!

Julie J. said...

That look delish!

Parkin Family said...

Yummy! I think you mentioned lunch! Any time!