Monday, November 17, 2008

too early, too late, always an escape?


Sitting at the piano the other day, I found myself drawn to Christmas songs. As I began to pluck out the ever familiar tunes, I felt the warmth that Christmas brings creeping in through the walls and seeping into everything that would hold still, even the dirty dishes. Wanting to hold on to the presence, bottle it, and carry it with me turned my thoughts toward Christmas music and when is it appropriate to start it up. I thought of the merchandising market and how they force it upon us so stinking early... I thought of church and how it's taboo to sing anything before Dec. 1st... and I thought of my little experience at the piano... I wonder, what would the consensus be?

When do you think it's too early, too late, or whatever? Answer on the sidebar....

5 comments:

flip flop mama said...

I'm already thinking about Christmas but for me it's too early to be playing the music and getting into the spirit. But that's just me...

Julie J. said...

We have totally been talking about it too. Matt thinks it's too early and that we should at least wait until after Thanksgiving.But Sam and I are ready to listen. And why not? Are we only supposed to think about the birth of Christ and the good feelings of Christmas one month a year? I even think Christmas music can help us feel more thankful at Thanksgiving time. I say we listen all year around.

KATE said...

You're too funny! I love how your mind works!
I did vote on the sidebar, I have to say I'm glad you found peace in the music at this early date. I have to say, it's early. Too early. But I'm bitter mcbitterson because of how early the retail markets push it on us! I wouldn't be opposed to a quiet moment with some Christmas music. Heck, I'd just love a quiet moment now that i think about it!
How's Wicked coming?

KATE said...

Hey Emily, I tagged you!

Emily said...

66% voted on waiting until after Thanksgiving.... Thanks for your vote!