Thursday, September 25, 2008

Book Review "The Book Thief"

It was our book club book like 6 or more months ago, but i lost it mid-read and didn't find it until recently.
This was brilliantly written! I love that the entire book is narrated by Death himself offering an interesting perspective on Nazi Germany. Who would know that era better than Death himself?
The story is of a girl, Liesel, who finds herself flung around during war and conflict. She stands for the pure and innocent that are affected. She's a survivor, but also just a normal kid. This novel illustrates for the reader a deep sense of what life is like during war. Simple things, such as the same pea soup for every single meal and the freedom to speak where and when you feel are a few things that stood out to me.
I enjoy reading books that help me to take on life from a new perspective. I seem to appreciate the little things more. Having never been deprived of certain freedoms and blessings, it's a stretch for me to comprehend life during a World War. Although a work of fiction, reading "The Book Thief" will affect my outlook for a little while... at least until I begin to digest another book....

3 comments:

mom said...

If you think I'll enjoy it, save it & I'll read it next trip out. Thanks, mom

KATE said...

Oh~ I think I need to put that one on my list!

Zack and Paola said...

I stumble on you blog via the lds ringsurf and I notice that you've read the book thief. I'm currently reading it and I love it thus far.