Tuesday, May 6, 2008

I am Legend, alternative ending movie review

:::WARNING SPOILER:::

Okay, so Nick and I saw this movie in the theater. Besides being thoroughly creeped out, we both left the theater loving the movie. So we watched the movie with the alternative ending on DVD. I've let it digest a few days and this is what I think....
We all know the end of a movie clinches the deal. A movie can totally BORE you for 1.5 hours, but, if the ending is good, you find yourself wanting to see it again.
The alternative ending to "I am Legend" changes the entire dynamics of the movie.
In the theatrical version, Will Smith blows himself up to protect the cure that he has just found for the disease that has whacked most of the planet. The woman and kid make it safely to the commune with the miracle cure.....
In the alternative ending, the creepy hemocyte leader (seen below) falls back on his attack to allow Smith to bring the kidnapped woman hemocyte back to consiousness and Smith proceeds to give her back to them. They leave Will Smith, the woman and the kid alone. Will Smith apologizes for the "others" that he has killed (pictured all over his lab wall). The three of them leave NYC safely in daylight.

Okay, so.... I thought that Will Smith blowing himself to smithereens to save the cure, the woman and the child was a bit Hollywood and of course no one likes to see Will Smith get blown up. I thought it was a bit unnecessary and even told Nick that the movie would have been better if he'd lived. But upon seeing the alternate ending, I'm not so sure. These hemocytes who are infected with this zombie-creating virus are not just slaves to their uncontrollable hunger, but do show signs of being human and can be reasoned with. Will Smith doesn't die, but walks through all of these crazies getting growled and snarled at (as above) which I thought was a little over-the-top also, but hey, it's a Hollywood sci-fi movie, what do you expect?

Both movies end on the note of hope, but I'm still on the fence... I doubt many have seen this movie or better yet, BOTH versions... but any opinions? Here are your options....

A. The theater version was the bomb!

B. The alternate ending clinched it for me.

C. I'm on the fence too!

D. Sorry Emily, too creepy of a movie for me to see!

E. I've only seen the movie version... thanks for spoiling it for me!

5 comments:

Parkin Family said...

We saw this movie too! Brian said we had to get a 72hr kit together after we saw it!
I have not seen the alternate but from your discription....I am still not sure - maybe will have to rent to see the alternate!

kathykat said...

I haven't seen either version, but now that I know BOTH endings why waste time seeing it. I'll go see something romantic instead.

Jamie J said...

I kind of felt a little unsatisfied after I saw the ending too. I wish he would have lived, but I'm not sure I really would have liked the second ending either...

Julie J. said...

I was FREAKED OUT through this whole movie.... I'm still for the origional ending though. I liked the idea of his daughter telling him his path... But, since news reels, old and new, seemed to be a theme throughout the movie to communicate the story line, I would have like to have seen some news clips post cure, ie, interviews with former zombies, testimonials of those who surrvived and how,reports about Will and his experiences, etc. I thought that would have totally fit. To see where his sacrifice took the world.

traycee said...

The original ending was the best, imo. I saw it as someone who was miserable finally being released from the unfulfilled life he led after his family and dog died. I've been told that with his meeting the woman and child he found solace, but I thoroughly disagree. His dog dying was the last straw and I saw him either doomed to a life of woe and regret or dead. I think him sacrificing himself let him be with his family and find peace while also allowing the world to be at peace with the nifty cure he found!