Sunday, May 11, 2008

a day for moms, a moment of loss, a reminder to laugh

Mommy's day....

not one of my favorite holidays, i'm just not so sure why everyday isn't mother's day... especially with young children, we are sometimes overwhelmed because of this thankless job. however, in speaking with a dear older sister at church today, she assured me that someday, your children will appreciate all that you do and did.

What would be the ideal mother's day to you? a day at the spa? reading a book all day on a swing in the backyard, while the kids and your husband do all the work? but really, it defeats the purpose.... why would you want to spend the day NOT surrounded by those that make you a mother (in my case three rambunctious little boys)? or better yet, why would you want to spend the day NOT doing the things that define you as woman and mother? To me, mother's day is everyone else's day to celebrate mothers, it's more for their benefit and not ours, it's there to make them remember and appreciate their moms. Like today, my thoughts turned to my own mother and grandmothers, but not to really to myself as a mother.

I so much appreciated the homecooked banana pancakes, hashed browns and chance to sleep in this morning! more than the benefit to myself, I love my husband so dearly for taking the time to think about my needs and showing a marvelous example our boys that he cares for and loves their mother.


Sacrament meeting....

opening song, Love at Home :::bleck:::
sacrament hymn, In Humility, Our Saviour... MY FAVORITE sacrament hymn!!! So we're singing this beautiful song and i'm feeling the love and sweet spirit of the sacrament and enjoying my mother's day... when Cooper taps my arm and with blood dripping down his bottom lip whispers, "mom, my tooth just fell out." i scramble for a tissue and we clean up the mess. the three of us laughing...the hymn ending... i'm reminded that i am, afterall, a mom.... just as you think you get a chance to sit back and enjoy a moment, chaos bares her teeth and what can you do, but laugh it off? I love being a mom... everyday is a celebration. every jar of jam i can, every cookie i bake, and every toilet i clean i do because i love being a mom.

3 comments:

Nobles Family said...

you are so cute, i love this post :)

lucy said...

you still feel the spirit during sacrament?! it's so hard to get anything out of meetings sometimes, having three little boys myself

Opfar said...

Oh my gosh... is it time for losing teeth already? This teeth process lasts forever!