Wednesday, April 30, 2008

What do you think?

Taking Cooper to school in the morning is my favorite thing to do! I just love how cars crowd the "Kindergarten drop of zone" while they let out their 3rd and 6th graders. Anyway, this morning I hop in the Acura and take Coop to school as usual. I leave the car idling out of habit, because it takes me about a minute or two to walk him to his door. When I get back to the car, I find this.... on my windshield.... My initial reaction was much needed belly laugh. I shook my head smiled and laughed hard. But as the morning went on, I thought about it more, I began to feel slightly offended. I began to think, "how damaging could 2 minutes worth of emissions from our little 2 door Acura really do to the environment?" and "what right does this person have to try and change me? they don't know me, my situation or my car.... what if the car doesn't always start?" or "if they are so passionate about it, why couldn't they have approached me in person and NICELY spoken to me about their concerns for the environment?"
I know that my thoughts are instantly defensive, and that if this person HAD confronted me, we probably would have had an argument about drilling in ANWAR or the wheat shortage due to all the farmers grown corn for ethanol! I can get a little heated about politics and "environmental issues."


I realize that I'm trying to defend my position, but here is food for thought...
Do you think that this person was justified?
Do you think that I should not leave my car on idle (hoping someone steals it) to keep peace in the community? or should I just keep on doing what I've been doing this whole school year?
Would you do something like this? If yes, why?
Please, I think I need some perspective....

15 comments:

Heidi said...

I would assume that person was a parent that wanted your spot! and that is why they were being so weird! besides...they wasted paper! lol ;)

Jamie J said...

Wow! I can't believe someone actually wrote that note for you. I would have been defensive too. Hmmm, if it was just a stop on the curb and run to the class and back thing I probably would just leave it running too unless I actually parked my car in a spot. It was lame of that guy to write that note though...

Parkin Family said...

It is easy to point fingers (which is what this person was doing) instead of becoming educated on the issues and activly getting involved in making a diffrence. I think the whole point is to start at home not with your neighbor. This is some nasty mom who does not dare idle her car to drop of her kid and she is jealouse!! HeHeHe - that felt good to stand on my soap box for a minute!

KathyKat said...

Hmmmmm - Does this person think you're a dummy and you don't know what an idling car does. That's where I would take affence. On the otherside America does have freedom of speech. I hope "whoever" gets a big canker sore.

Tinkerbell said...

that sounds like something that would happen where i live!! ha!

i think this person accomplished the intent of the note...to make you think about your actions. i think they were justified b/c they live in the area too and have to breath the same air.

on bad air quality days in logan fast food places and banks would close their drive thru windows to help the air quality.

you can choose to be offended or rethink how what you're doing may be harming your children's health or your own. i never needed inhalers until i lived in logan....bad air quality. since moving back to northern CA...i'm fine.

and for the record...NO, i would not do something like this.

Opfar said...

Okay- that's ridiculous! It's totally not up to anyone else to tell you how to live... and for 2 stinken minutes? I mean, it's like they had a note just waiting to put on someone's car. They wouldn't have had that much time to write the dang thing! Starting the car burns more gas than just letting it idle for that amount of time... which would in turn lead to further waste of resources (including financial!) so up theirs! (not that I'm opninionated about it... haha) I'd be tempted to do it again and just watch behind you to see who it was. hahahaha.

Emily said...

I did do it again today, but to add insult to injury... I drove the Suburban!!!

James said...

This is what I would do, I would go a rent a Gas Guzzling SUV the biggest you can rent and drive to the school 15 minutes early and leave it running with the radio up real loud playing Bob Marly (every little thing is going to be alright).

That person was probably from California, what a bunch of tree huggers. Hehe sorry if i offend anyone.

Buffy said...

I LOVE you Emily!!! You totally crack me up! :) I say keep doing what you are doing. Nosy environmentalists! :)

Opfar said...

HILARIOUS!!!! I about spit on my computer screen at that one... LOVE it! Hi- 5's all around (giggling)

lucy said...

sounds like someone in a bad mood

Julie J. said...

HEY! I spent some time stalking you on facebook and now here... I would have waded that paper up and thrown it over my shoulder and driven off...Oh yeah, I would have littered.

julie said...

hahaha Hey. Emily is from California, goofy. haha! Maybe the person isn't a morning person, and was having a particularly bad morning and had to nit-pick someone or something to feel better? I'm not really a morning person, so I'm just totally reflecting my life, but I personally wouldn't have done that. I have, however, put notes on a couple of huge SUVs that have parked so close to me that I can't even open my door to put my car seat in the back. Do you KNOW how inconvenient that is????? Another issue, another day.... Love you, Emily, even if you are absolutely destroying the environment! haha PEOPLE SUCK, and the world would be better off without us, eh?

Leigh said...

How lame can you be!? I bet there are red lights that are longer than the time it takes to run him into school! Are you supposed to turn off your car at a red light? Anyway, who is she telling you that you can't let your car run? If you want your car stolen so you can get a check from the insurance then that is your business, not hers! ;)

natalie said...

I agree the note is cheesy. It would have been better for them to speak to you in person. Don't believe in idling though. In Canada you can get fined if your car has been left idling for more than 3 minutes (125$). The board of health is proposing to change the limit to 10 seconds. I'm not sure how that will work in Toronto traffic, but you get the point. Turning off the car takes a second, and who knows, maybe it will make a difference for your kids' future.