Monday, April 14, 2008

the influence of a parent

as we folded laundry last night, i enticed my husband to watch "The Jazz Singer." the movie began and instantly i started shyly singing along, "be comin' to America.... TODAY!"


Have you ever?? .....


a. thought a movie that you saw a really really long time ago was SOOOO GOOD and then saw it again and thought "what was I thinking?"


or


b. sang along with old tunes from your parents generation while thinking, "how do I know every word to this song?"


or


c. felt a little awkard about watching a movie that you boasted was so great, while the person seeing it for the first time looks like their being tortured?


okay... so secretly I totally enjoyed the walk down memory lane. i kept thinking of American Idol and if Mr. Neil Diamond were on that show, he'd win for sure! what a voice?!?! and i even love his newer album, with it's ballad-like quality.

thanks mom, for brainwashing me as a child with good music!

6 comments:

Jamie J said...

I love Neil Diamond...

I'm sure I've done that before but I can't remember exactly what movie. I did watch Labrynth a couple weeks ago for the first time in years (Spencer and I had both seen it). I couldn't believe I ever watched it. DH was enthralled but I fell asleep! LOL

Parkin Family said...

Neil Rocks - you have to remember that I saw him on my wedding day! What is even funnier is that we also watch the Jazz Singer the other night and I totally felt like dancing!!! Brian and I both said "This is like the wedding video we never had!"

HE HE HE
Bethaney

Buffy said...

Oh my gosh! I am totally with you on all counts! And I do love Neil Diamond...but most of all I love that my mom's influence is totally still present in me! That's awesome! :)

Tinkerbell said...

did i tell you that back in january chuck and i went to a neil diamond cover band in s.f.?? it was awesome!! they rocked and we loved every minute of it.

katieel said...

Ahh Neil...you know whenever someone in the family has a karaoke machine...I always have to belt out Neil "FAAAAARRR...we've been traveling FAAAR" of course then we along with Kara and Kori start laughing.....

Barbara said...

I, too, am a Neil Diamond fan. I had a huge crush on him (and Michael Jackson for that matter)when I was little and my parents had "The Jazz Singer" record (yep, I'm old), among others. I know every word to "You're So Sweet" because my older brother used to sing it to my baby sister. (I can't remember what record that one was on). Ahhh, memories!