Wednesday, February 20, 2008

on the nature of creation.....

Paul Theroux said it perfectly, "There is an intense but simple thrill in setting off in the morning on a mountain trail knowing that everything you need is on your back. It is a confidence in having left all inessentials behind, and of entering a world of natural beauty which has not been violated, where money has no value, and possessions are a deadweight. The person with the fewest possessions is the freest: Thoreau was right."

I find a simple pleasure in escaping the weight of everyday monotony and expanding into nature. This may seem odd to some, but I find myself reminded of God's love for me. Most may think this is because I'm surrounded by the beauty and harmony of nature and thus feel blessed by this great gift. But for me, it is much more. It is a reminder that God, as my creator, does not make mistakes, He does not make junk. He created me therefore, I am of some value to Him. Everyday I try to notice something beautiful, to remind myself of my worth as a wife, mother, daughter, sister, and friend. I read somewhere this statement, "God the perfect appraiser, passed his creations in review, and called each one good, including you." It's much easier to live a happy life knowing my worth and my destiny, and that like everyone else, I AM a child of God and I do have the potential to become like my parents.

1 comment:

Jamie J said...

What a great post Emily. I used to get out into true nature so much more and I miss that. Thanks for the reminder about the power of nature.