Friday, December 14, 2007

glad we were late

it was one of those mornings
the clock didn't quite wake me
and before i knew it, it was time to go!
i unwrapped a granola bar and tossed it to Cooper who was pulling on his shoes in a mad rush

my coat went on over my pajamas and the sorrels over my bare feet

i drove Cooper to school hunched over so i could see through the one clear spot....because i didn't take the time to clear the frost off the windshield

we arrive, late and flushed

as i turn the corner to his class room, my eyes beheld a wondrous site

22 kindergartners standing in reverence with their tiny hands over their hearts

yelling at the top of their lungs "and to the republic, where witches stand, one nation, under God, indiffisable, with liberty and justice for all!"

after the shock of realizing i was completely out of touch with what goes on in my son's class, i felt a swell of pride for my son's teacher who begins class with this daily recital...

before ABCs, before reading, writing and math, my son is learning to appreciate his freedom

today, i'm glad i was late

1 comment:

Opfar said...

I LOVE it! Thanks for sharing this....