Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Snakes, Snails and boy's tales at the Dinner Table

Dinner at the Gibbons dinner table is not all it's cracked up to be. Besides three boys complaining about only being hungry for "treats" and spilt drinks and spilt soup.....

Tonight our conversation centered around... The best ways to kill a snail. Cooper and Sean spent some time this morning out in the rain pouring salt on snails. I mentioned that when I was a little girl I liked to throw them high in the air and into the street, watching their little shells shatter. Nick told the boys that when he was old enough to play with matches (he probably wasn't, but said that so that they wouldn't get any ideas in their head... did it work? who knows?), he would light his army guys on fire and drip the melting and flaming plastic onto the snails while watching it burn straight through. I thought to myself This is what dinnertime conversation is with 4 boys/men. Had I daughters, we may have discussed Barbie's affair with Ken or her new bubbling hot tub. We may of discussed the best way to style a pony's tail or what color of nail polish is most appropriate for playing in the sand box.

But, reality hit when I opened my fridge to see the headless rattle snake in a ziploc baggie next to the potatoes....

Yes, I'm surrounded by boys.

4 comments:

Brooke said...

oh. my.

i think you would tire of the barbie talk. although you were really good at "fortunes!"

Emily said...

I KNOW, Brooke, I need the recipe for little girls (we obviously haven't been able to make one yet) because I want to do her fortune someday.... LOL, a bit toned-down of course! If you know what I mean... (can I put a link to your blog on mine... since I look at yours all the time and might as well make it easier to access??)

Nick said...

Notice who it was that started the whole conversation about killing snails. Good thing she has all of us boys to talk with.

Emily said...

He's right, It's true